How to Organize Your Kitchen and Store Kitchenware
Who doesn’t love food? Many of us at XYZ Storage do not shy away from any opportunity to talk about food. Food and storage are some of our favourite topics to share with others. It would be unfair of us not to share with you some of our favourite tips to organize your kitchen. If you find yourself trying to learn new recipes or even just keeping yourself fed at home having your kitchen a little more organized could be helpful.
1. Go Through Your Refrigerator and Cabinets
The best way to figure out what to keep or throw away is to empty everything and put it all out there. This will help you start organizing all of your kitchenware as well as the food in your refrigerator. Go ahead and empty your refrigerator and cabinets and get rid of anything that you do not want, do not use, or any expired food items. This will give you a good sense of what you have and provides you the perfect opportunity to declutter your kitchen.
2. Separate Your Kitchen Utensils in Your Drawers
It is one thing to separate your utensils and kitchenware between drawers, but it might also be worth it to separate the utensils you have in a single drawer. For example, you could separate your eating utensils (spoons, forks, and knives), spatulas, and tongs using dividers/boxes. This will help you organize all your kitchenware based on accessibility and type.
3. Use Clear Containers for Dry Food
You may have seen these clear containers trending or you may even have some in your home. They are a great way to organize your snacks and dry ingredients. It makes it so much easier to differentiate between all of your ingredients whether it is for baking (sugar, flour, and chocolate chips) or spices used to spice up your meals. Once you place everything in glass jars/containers you can find creative ways to label all of them. It is very aesthetically pleasing! If you are interested, you can head to Amazon to find and purchase containers that you love.
4. Make Use of Hanging Space
Sometimes when you run out of storage space you have to make do by making use of the wall space as best as you possibly can. For example, if you can hang any of your kitchenware on racks or place your chopping board on a hook take advantage of that extra space in your kitchen.
5. Organize Based on What Makes Sense to You
Spend some time on Pinterest and Instagram and figure out the best way to organize your kitchen in a way that makes sense to you. It is your kitchen and you are the one spending the most time in it whether you need to figure out what needs to be put on the top shelf versus the bottom shelf. An example of organizing based on what makes sense to you is having the most used ingredients on the shelves that are reachable.
6. Need More Storage Space?
Found some kitchen utensils and equipment that you no longer use daily, but want to keep around? Think about storing it in a storage unit. If that is an option you are interested in, keep a few of these tips in mind:
- Clean your kitchenware before packing it away to avoid having any food residue leftover on any pots, pans, containers, dishes, or utensils. This is especially if you plan on leaving your belongings in storage for many months to come. Trust us, you do not want any surprises when you take your kitchenware out of storage.
- Wrap all of your kitchenware safely to avoid any of your favourite dishes from breaking when transporting them to the storage unit. You can do this by simply using wrapping paper or bubble wrap. If you are looking for a place to buy packing supplies, you can learn more here.
- Keep all of your kitchen items organized when you are packing them to be put in a storage unit. The reason being you want to avoid having to dig through boxes just to find one specific silverware set you want to use for Thanksgiving or Christmas evening.
As a friendly reminder, if you are thinking about storing any food in a storage unit you can only store sealed non-perishable food items. For all of your self-storage needs, we at XYZ Storage are here to help, so let us know what your storage problem is, and we are here to work with you to come up with the best possible solution. Happy organizing from all of us at XYZ Storage!