How to Protect Furniture in Storage
Storing your furniture away for long periods of time can cause distress especially when you return to your self-storage unit to check on your belongings and they are not in the same condition as when you first stored it all away. When storing your furniture and belongings for long periods of time it is imperative to consider how you are placing your items in storage whether that is in your garage, attic, basement, or a storage unit. You want to be mindful of the conditions you’re leaving your furniture in, how you are preparing your belongings for storage, and what you can do while your belongings are in storage. The goal is to minimize the potential of any long-term damage your furniture may face while being stored. We at XYZ Storage want to help you protect your furniture so you feel confident in storing away your furniture in long-term storage. The huge bonus with storing with us is that our facilities are climate-controlled which can be vital to keeping your belongings safe from damage in the long term. Continue reading to learn more about how to protect your furniture in a storage unit.
Prepare Your Furniture for Storage
Preparing your furniture for storing it away can seem like an overwhelming task to achieve especially if you have two rooms full of it or even more. However, there are several things you can do and keep in mind when preparing your furniture to be placed in storage to make the process a whole lot smoother including the following:
- Clean everything thoroughly before placing it away in storage. For example, thoroughly cleaning your patio furniture to remove any excess food crumbs or wiping down your glass tabletops with furniture polish to not attract bugs. You want to ensure that it is also completely dry before storing furniture long term.
- Remove any items in your drawers whether that be pens in a desk drawer, clothes in your dresser, or food in your mini fridge. You want to avoid any pens leaking or food attracting any pests or unwanted visitors.
- Wrap furniture tightly to protect it from dust. We have quality packing materials and storing supplies such as mattress covers, sofa covers, packing tape, plastic wrap, packing paper, or bags conveniently available for purchase at our XYZ facilities to help protect your furniture while in storage.
- If you have belongings that can be stored in proper storage containers or boxes that would be ideal to help keep you organized and maximize your storage space.
- Do a proper thorough inspection of the area in which you plan to store your furniture. For example, checking for holes and cracks in the walls as well as sweeping the floors.
Wrapping Furniture of Different Materials
Storing Wood Furniture in a Storage Unit
When storing wooden furniture in a storage unit there are a few important things to keep in mind in order to protect your wood furniture long term. To prevent any damage such as cracks and splits while your wood furniture is in storage use a gentle wood cleaner or furniture polish to avoid cracks and splits. Avoid using plastic sheeting or bubble wrap to wrap your wooden furniture instead try a breathable sheet such as blankets, old sheets, or drop cloths to protect it from moisture damage. You also would want to ensure that you choose a climate-controlled space. Climate-controlled storage units ensure that the wooden furniture is not impacted by humidity levels or extreme temperatures such as an extreme cold. This will help protect your wood furniture items in storage.
Storing Glass Furniture Items in a Storage Unit
Storing glass furniture in a storage unit requires extra precaution. You can start off by wiping down and cleaning the entire surface so you can properly store it away. Completely cover the glass items with packing paper or bubble wrap to avoid any risk of breaking the furniture piece during transit or while in storage.
Storing Leather Furniture Items in a Storage Unit
Leather furniture items such as couches or chairs are often quite expensive, making them valuable to you and therefore worth protecting while in storage. Cleaning furniture pieces first before you shrink-wrap them for storage. Use old sheets, blankets, or padded covers to make sure that you are protecting them while in transit and in storage.
Ways to Protect Your Furniture in Storage
Storage totes such as plastic containers need to be sealed completely and tightly so it protects your belongings. You want to avoid containers made out of cardboard as mice can easily gnaw away at them to get to your belongings. If you do use cardboard boxes you want to ensure that they are newer and stronger in material and are not from the grocery store as those may have leftover food.
Elevating Your Furniture off the Ground
Something else to keep in mind when you store your furniture is to keep your furniture off the ground by elevating it on wooden pallets or cinder blocks. For example, if you have a cabinet that is being stored in your garage putting it above the ground can help with moisture. You can also think about putting your belongings on shelves as well to help save space in your unit.
Invest in a Safe and Secure Storage Unit
Choose a self-storage facility that you can trust with your belongings. Do your research to find the best self-storage facility in your area. There are three ways to do so:
- One of the best ways to do so is by reading through the company’s reviews so you can learn about how a self-storage facility helps its customers’ belongings stay protected.
- Customer reviews are helpful, however, the best way to know is to see it for yourself and visit a self-storage facility. This way you can see firsthand if the self-storage facility is clean, safe, and secure. You may also want to check out the self-storage facilities’ security measures when it comes to protecting your belongings. For example, you want to avoid choosing a storage unit or facility with holes and cracks in the walls.
- It is also a good idea to ask the self-storage staff directly how well-maintained a storage facility is or not as well as what processes they undergo. Our XYZ staff are equipped to help you answer and clarify any questions or concerns you may have about storing with us.
Doing all three of the above things before renting can help you pick and invest in a safe and secure storage unit that is right for you and your storage needs.
Choosing a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
Climate-controlled storage units are worth looking into and ultimately renting to help protect the furniture in the long run. There are plenty of facilities that offer climate-controlled storage units to protect your belongings from any long-term damage from the change in temperature and weather. A climate-controlled unit will help prevent any damage to your temperature-sensitive items compared to a garage, basement, or attic that is not temperature controlled. At XYZ Storage we have climate-controlled facilities because we know how important and valuable your belongings are to you. We want to ensure that your belongings are safe, secure, and protected while in storage.
Before renting a storage unit it is important to make sure that your belongings are insured when storing at a self-storage facility. When storing at a self-storage facility it is a good idea to take extra precautions because there is a small chance that you could accidentally bring or attract mice or insects into your unit. You want to avoid the stress that comes with dealing with the damage to your belongings while in storage. It is also a smart idea to keep track of what you have in your storage unit so that the process is a lot easier if you are faced with this unfortunate situation.
Check Your Self-Storage Unit Often
When you choose a unit it is nice knowing that you can store away your furniture, appliances, and other belongings without having to visit very often, especially if you are storing your belongings long-term. However, it is a good idea to check on your belongings every so often as much as you can. You do not want to expect any surprises if you choose not to visit your storage unit in years and find unwanted pests.
XYZ Storage Can Help
If you are planning on storing your furniture and other belongings in a self-storage unit at XYZ Storage we have a tonne of units available in a variety of different sizes to solve your storage problems including compact, small, medium, and large. We have several safe, clean, and secure self-storage facilities located in Toronto and the GTA for your convenience and accessibility. Have any questions about the proper storage of your belongings? Visit our self-storage facility today and our self-storage experts would be more than happy to assist you and ease any of your concerns.