How to Store Storage Containers
Storage containers can be your absolute best friend, especially when you are trying to organize and declutter your space. Whether you are looking to organize your food, tools, sports equipment, holiday decor, kitchen items, clothing, electronics, toys, or gardening supplies, finding the right storage solution is essential. We at XYZ Storage want to help you get your space organized and provide you with tips and tricks on how to store your belongings effectively in storage containers. Time to transform your space whether that be your hallway closet, garage, basement, shed, kitchen, bedroom, or even your self-storage unit!
“Decluttering” can seem like a daunting task at first, however, it does not have to be overwhelming. It can be done in three easy steps to help you tackle the process with ease.
- Start with one area: Focusing on one area at a time prevents you from feeling overwhelmed and allows you to see progress quickly.
- Sort and categorize: Take everything out of the chosen area and sort items into categories. Create piles for items you want to keep, donate, sell, or discard.
- Organize and find storage solutions: Once you’ve decluttered and sorted your belongings, it’s time to organize what you’ve decided to keep.
What Are the Different Types of Storage Containers?
Many different types of containers can be used for storing your belongings that have various purposes. Here is a list of them that you could explore and see which would be the best for your specific storage needs.
- Plastic Containers can be extremely useful as they come in many different shapes and sizes and can offer transparency into what belongings you have stored away. They also have plastic containers that can be stackable to help maximize your storage space.
- Cardboard Boxes are the affordable option for items that are being stored away temporarily and are not as valuable. Grab a couple of your old delivery boxes you never got rid of and use them to store away your belongings.
- Wired Baskets and Mesh Containers can be extremely beneficial for storing away belongings that require ventilation to keep away moisture or any strong odors. These containers would be great for sports equipment or gardening supplies.
- Specialty containers are specifically designed for storing specific belongings. For example, food storage containers are available for storing and preserving the freshness of pantry staples. Different food storage containers can be used to store a variety of different foods.
What Is the Best Way to Store Several Storage Containers?
Storing away several storage containers can be a struggle especially if you are limited in space. One of the best ways to maximize storage space is by utilizing vertical space in your home. For example, using shelving units will help you maximize your space and use it efficiently. Another great way to store multiple storage containers is to label absolutely everything. This way you avoid having to dig through multiple containers trying to figure out what is in each container. When storing away your belongings it is also best to categorize and group similar items. For instance, grouping holiday decor items, sports equipment together, and tools together. Similarly to why it is important to label your storage containers, it will allow you and your belongings to stay much more organized.
How to Organize Your Food Storage
Do you struggle with organizing the food in your kitchen cabinets, pantry, and refrigerator? Perhaps you have plentiful dinner leftovers, cannot find a matching lid anywhere in your food storage container collection, and have a lack of shelf space. Food storage organization is precisely what you need. There are several ways to organize your kitchen, however, here are a few ways to maximize space and avoid out-of-control lids.
- Gather every food storage container that you have along with all the lids.
- Invest in a few different sizes of food storage containers and lids if you do not have enough already to help with food storage on a day-to-day basis. Clear containers can be extremely useful as they are clear and transparent making it easy to see what is inside each container.
- Keep food storage containers separated in a way where you can easily tell which food items are expiring and need to be consumed as soon as possible.
- Use drawers and dividers and smart stacking in addition to food storage containers to make sure you maximize space.
- Hang storage lids inside your cabinet door so that it is easy to find.
- Group like items together to improve food storage organization. This can help make meal prep time much easier.
Say goodbye to the frustration of searching through mismatched containers, food storage lids, and playing storage container jenga.
What Is Safe to Put in a Storage Container?
Storage containers are great because you can store almost anything inside of them to keep your belongings nice and organized. Here is a list of many of the categories of items that you can put in a storage container:
- Gardening tools
- Sports equipment
- Files and other documents
- Holiday decorations
- Kitchen items (dishes, utensils, pots/pans)
- Food in your pantry
- Living room items (magazine rack, throw pillows)
- Small electronics (DVD players, gaming devices/consoles, old laptops, etc.)
What Should You Not Put in a Storage Container?
While storage containers can be the ideal storage solution for storing away many of your belongings some items are better off stored in other ways. Here are the three groups of items below that should not be placed in a storage container:
- Perishable food items require specific storage conditions such as refrigeration to stay fresh and safe for consumption. Therefore, store them in food storage containers and refrigerate them for proper storage.
- Hazardous materials can range from anything flammable, explosive, or dangerous substances. These are all things that require proper handling and storage to avoid any safety and health issues.
- Living creatures (anything alive) should not be stored away in a storage container and should be given the proper living conditions and care needed.
Similarly to what you cannot store in a storage container in your home these groups of items also cannot be stored in a self-storage unit. If you have any questions about what you can and cannot be stored in a storage container feel free to stop by one of our XYZ Storage facilities and one of our storage experts would be more than happy to assist you.
Can Bugs Enter a Closed Storage Container?
The concern for bugs is a valid one, however, there are steps you can take as a precaution to steer clear of bugs altogether hopefully. Make sure that you are using containers that are tightly closed and have reliable seals. For another added layer of precaution, you can purchase airtight containers for storing food to avoid a pest infestation.
How XYZ Storage Can Help
If you are running out of space in your basement, garage, closet, or attic to store away all of your storage containers, storing them away in a self-storage unit can be the ideal storage solution for you. XYZ Storage is here and ready to help! We have self-storage facilities all over the Toronto and GTA area providing the perfect solution for storing all of the items you no longer have space for in your home. Our state-of-the-art facilities offer secure and customizable storage units that cater to your unique storage needs. Feel free to visit one of our conveniently located self-storage facilities in Toronto, including Toronto West, Scarborough, Etobicoke, Toronto Downtown, and Toronto Midtown. With our secure state-of-the-art facilities you rest assured that your belongings are safe at our self-storage facilities. At XYZ Storage, we understand that your life is big and you have to make space for it.